Analogue Adventures Part 1: Kodak Brownie 127

image

A few weeks ago I was looking in a charity shop in Chatham and I noticed that they had a couple of old cameras. Most of them were cheap plastic 35mm cameras but one camera caught my attention. It was an old Kodak Brownie 127 in its original case. I googled 127 film to see if you could still get hold of it and discovered that it wasn’t readily available – there was possibly one manufacturer still making film but it appeared to be not easy to get hold of and very expensive. I put the camera back on the display and left the shop. A few hundred yards up the road I had an idea and got my phone out again…..this time I found this video:

Enthused I headed back to the shop hoping it was still open which thankfully it was. I bought the camera and then headed to Poundland where I bought a couple of rolls of 35mm film. A couple of days later I put a film into the camera. However as it mentioned in the video before you can use 35mm film in it you need to make a couple of minor alterations! The 127 film was, like 120 film, backed with paper and the exposure numbers were on the backing paper. These were viewed through a little red window at the back of the camera. The problem is that 35mm film isn’t backed by paper and any light coming in through this window will burn into the film so it needs to be covered up.

image

I did this by using a combination of card and pvc tape. I put on several layers just to be on the safe side. I decided that it was safer and easier to do this on the outside of the camera.

image

Then it was just a case of putting a film into the camera. Obviously the film isn’t meant to fit but once the film was attached to the take up spool it stayed in place ok. The video I’d watched on youtube showed using some sort of washer to hold it in place but I didn’t have anything that fitted.

image

The camera was manufactured between about 1959 and 1963 and is a simple camera with fixed aperture (about F11) and shutter speed (about 1/50 second) which makes it a camera that can really only be used in bright sunny conditions which as you may have noticed have been in rather short supply recently! Also without the numbers on the back of the film it’s rather difficult to know when the film has been wound on sufficiently to avoid double exposures (although this does offer an interesting possibility in itself!) After reading various posts on the internet I wound the film advance knob through 2 full revolutions after every shot and that seemed to work.

The effect I was looking for was obviously the exposed sprockets meaning the image goes right to the edge of the 35mm film. I had created some images like this using retro camera on my Android phones but it looked a bit fake (which obviously it is!!) I’d made a camera wish list on this blog recently and one of the cameras I’d mentioned (albeit as being too expensive) was the Lomography‘s Sprocket Rocket which retails at around £70. This gave exactly the same effect for less than a fiver!!

I took the camera out with me for a couple of weeks and took some pictures in London, Brighton, Elmers End and Chatham! The only downside is that the film can’t be rewound inside the camera so I had to find my old changing bag and wind the film back into the canister inside that. I sent off the film to AG Photolab to be developed and here are some of the results – the format gives a nice widescreen effect and of course sprocket holes!

Guitar

Luton

flats

Fence

Treesv2

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s